Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Gyrlz

The Gyrlz were an R&B girl group consisting of members Monica Bryce, Terri Robinson, and Tara Geter. I know their name looks misspelled, but I'm guessing that was how it was back in the 80s. (Go figure.)

The girls were backup singers for a couple of acts during the late 80s and their demo tape was produced by none other than Teddy Riley (the founder of the New Jack Swing movement) and Kyle West. They met with Uptown Records' producer, Andre Harrell and started working on their debut album.
Their debut and only album "Love Me Or Leave Me" was released in 1988 which didn't appear to chart at all. The Gyrlz wrote and co-wrote all the songs on the album along with Teddy Riley & Kyle West.

They released two singles "Jam Jam (If You Can)" and "If It's Games You're Playing" which didn't appear to chart.
The third single "Wishing You Were Here" also failed to chart as well. The group sang backup with singer Al B. Sure! on his "Heartbreak" tour and became the opening act for New Edition and Bobby Brown.

By the end of Al B. Sure's tour, the girls split up. After the breakup, Terri went to New York & sang for another group called Key West, but they never released an album.

After that, Terri reunited with Monica and became a duo (with Tara as their manager). These days, the Gyrlz have seemed to have faded into obscurity.

According to various sources, the group's debut album is very hard to find. If you're looking to find it on Ebay, it's between $60 to $200 dollars.

To see the music video for "Jam Jam If You Can," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JIddyO_xak

To see the music video for "If It's Games You're Playing," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hXd7qLJO0s

To see a fan-made video for "Wishing You Were Here," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDipTLEClko


[Updated on 04\04\12]

12 comments:

Jala said...

This was a classic cassette. Wish I could find mine. I loved every song.

Catt Howard said...

I ran my casette till it died. Been looking for it ever since!

tdimples2 said...

WOW!!! I use to listen to their tape all the time...Its Over and Its All Because of You were my faves....

igottint said...

damn damn damn i thought i finally found it my tape got stole they need to re release it i think it will do well!!!!!!!!!!!

Marita Marshall said...

My song was It's Over...I played that song to death! the days of teen crushes.

erok said...

I still have the original cassette and just found an album download online!

Franklin Prather said...

yes yes listing to my Gyrlz album right now. singing every song damn every song was hot. live in FL. I visited my mom in CT, i had to grab my Gyrlz Vinyl in the basement in the crates. love this album!

Franklin Prather said...

for all the Gyrlz Fans. Gyrlz Mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzyKLogLz1M&list=RD02l7kxCuhLkIw

Valerie Small-Rodriguez said...

I wrote to Al B Sure himself and asked how I could get a hold of their album and he stated he did not know. Not ever true. It is somewhere...we have to keep demanding it. Someone has it.

sheri wade said...

Ive been searching everywhere to replace mine my nephew broke mine

Monica Payne said...

You can find me Monica Payne & Terri Robinson on Facebook. I'm sure we can get you a copy. I'll probably put it up on soundcloud soon. Thanks for the love!!! The Gyrlz ❤️

Sterling Seals said...

I just bought the LP from Discogs last week for $30, and it's on the way... Money well spent, especially since CD versions on eBay are goinf for well over $100.