Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Girls

The Girls were an R&B trio from the '80s that was formed by musician/producer André Cymone. The trio consisted of 19-year-old Doris Rhodes, 18-year-old Germain Brooks and 17-year-old Sheila Rankin.

According to an interview with Germain about the trio on the "Those City Nights" Wordpress blog in 2011:

"We all started out as solo artists. I was singing with local bands in clubs and several of the local musicians would come and listen. André would often come out as well and he told me he was working with Doris, whom I had not yet met. However, I expressed interest in working with him as well. A while later, Sheila moved to Minneapolis, and began singing with me in The Style Band. She and I had great chemistry so I thought it would be a good idea to form a group. I brought up the idea to André and he was cool with it so we tried it.” 

During that time, Doris was in her own all-girl group called Fantasy. Andre originally intended to produce her as a solo act, but he saw the potential of getting the three girls together. In 1983, the Girls provided backing vocals for Evelyn "Champagne" King's album, "Face to Face."
In 1984, the group released their only album "Girl Talk" on Columbia Records. It's unknown how or if the album charted.
The singles "Don't Waste My Time" and "S-E-S-E-X" were released, but didn't make the Billboard charts at all due to lack of promotion.

By 1985, the Girls disbanded. According to a comment I received, Sheila Rankin passed from breast cancer at the age of 50 in February of 2016. As for the other girls, it is unknown what they are up to today.

To see a fan-made video for "Don't Waste My Time," go to:



[updated on 04\16\2016]

3 comments:

Ty Nao said...

she was 17 and sang the song sesex which lyrics include ill do it anywhere i dont care...

FanOfRaney,Bachalo said...

These girls were very talented and courageous to sing about sex and love that was geared towards their fellow teen peers in high school and college. They should got promotion for their album back in 1984.

FanOfRaney,Bachalo said...

Sheila Rankin died from breast cancer on February 8,2016 at the age of 50