Sunday, August 5, 2012

Mikki

Mikki (born Mikki Farrow in Detroit, Michigan) was a female R&B\dance singer from the 80's. During the mid 60's, she met and married saxophonist Andrew "Mike" Terry. She also participated in Jerry Butler's writers' workshop in Chicago.

Around 1968, Mikki arrived in Philadelphia and got involved with the upcoming Sound of Philadelphia.

She worked as a songwriter and background singer, working with artists such as Archie Bell and the Drells, Loleatta Holloway, Blue Magic, and the Trammps. She recorded various songs such as "Could it Be" and "Set My Heart at Ease" for Karate Records.
In 1982, Mikki released her self-titled debut album on Emerald International Records. It's unknown how or if the album ever made the charts.
Her first single, "Itchin' for Love" peaked at #67 on Billboard's Black Singles chart in November of 1982, staying on the chart for 13 weeks.

The second single from the album, "Look Before You Leap" peaked at #82 on Billboard's Black Singles chart in April of 1983, staying on the chart for 4 weeks.
In 1984, Mikki released the single, "Love Emergency" on Pop Art Records which peaked at #59 on Billboard's Black Singles chart in September of that same year, staying on the chart for 8 weeks.
In 1985, she released the single, "Dance Lover" on the Renaissance Recordings record label which didn't appear to make much impact on the charts.

During the late 80's, Mikki returned to Chicago and reconnected with Billy Butler (the brother of Jerry Butler). They got married and moved back to Philadelphia where Mikki started an evangelistic ministry & focused on gospel music.

Sadly on February 12, 2002, Mikki passed away while awaiting a liver transplant.

To see a fan-made video for "Itchin' for Love," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjkF2detrE

To see a fan-made video for "Love Emergency," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naCBQl9tMtc

2 comments:

Anthony Dawson said...

I knew Mikki and 19 84 where we lived in Logan and she stayed at Phil's grill a local cheese steak shop with a band played my brother strawberry was in the band

Brad Corey said...

This all seems pretty accurate. Mikki was MY music mentor, and my lover back in the late 70's, early 80's. I left college and returned home to germantown in Philadelphia. I had sought a career and education as a studio engineer while in college but there were no courses for me to take. Shortly after coming home,I bumped into an old friend of mine (Barry Lezine), who introduced me to Mikki. Barry was her cousin, and a bassist. She was somewhat older than me,but neither of us seemed to mind. We hit it off right from the start. We lived together for the nxt several years while she mentired me and taught me how to write lyrics. She intoduced me to a lot of big and important ppl in the industry back then. I met Norman Harris, a big time producer, T-Life another producer for Evelyn King and Phyllis Hymen. The Tramps, Charro (the hoochie-hoochie chick),Denis Edwards, and others. My 1st visit to a professional recording studio was with Mikki! After a few years she left me after doing a session with Billy Butler at Sigma Sound. She ran off with Billy for a few months, leaving me in the home we shared on Park avenue. When she returned, she hooked up with a guy named Phil who thought he was some kind of business tycoon or entrepreneur. Dont ask ME wut Phil was into, but they lived together in a storefront off of 11th and Wyoming. I remained frnds with her eventhough she had left me. Phil and I were cool too. It was when she left Phil that she moved back to Chi-town, and married Billy. I have never forgot Mikki and her girls (whom I LOVED); Ebony and Dawn. I've collected a few song writer royalties thanks to Mikki!!! She gave me the gift of music and I will never forget her. I will love her til the day I die. Thank you baby! Sleep well! (My name is Brad. Brad Corey)